Home    Subscribe    Write for Us    FAQ    Contact    HubGarden    Login

What support is available for single mums?

by Ivana Katz (follow)
Ivana is passionate about travel, writing, photography and website design. Visit her at: www.adventurehq.com.au
Parenting (216)      Children (252)      Motherhood (31)      Divorce (11)      Single (4)      Single mum (2)     
Becoming a single parent can be a shock to the system. Not only are you responsible for the health and well being of your children, but you also need to take care of things financially.

single mother, single parent, parenting, resources for single mothers

Do you know what resources and help is available for single mums?

What challenges have you found when you became a single parent? How did you overcome them?

#Single mum
I like this Question - 5
Ask and answer questions for a share of ad revenue - click here
[ Submit an Answer ]
Top Answers
Great question. For starters, other single mums. You can relate to each other, you're all on the same page. Mothers groups also welcome single mothers into the fold.
Also, there is the council of single mothers and their children: http://www.csmc.org.au/
If you are in Australia....go to Centrelink.

Then ask for someone to talk to.

They are very helpful, and will give you all the help you need.You must ALWAYS tell them the truth about your situation, and they will asses you.

Even if you are working....or part time working....esp if you have not got a job, and can't work.

If you earn less than a certain amount of money, they will (maybe) give you a health care card.
That alone is invaluable!...for low cost prescription's.Ambulance is free etc.
Also look at Rent-Assistance.

Cheep public transport card, and they even (if) you have a car...and they put you on a sole parent pension, will give you assistance to get very cheep car rego.
Plus, once or twice 'cash advances' per year.

ASK for all the entitlements...that you may be eligible for.You also can stay on this benefit, and work part time.
Don't worrie they don't bite, and they are there to give you help and support.

There is rental assistance and I think you can get your utilities paid for (but check with centrelink about that - I may've misunderstood.)
More Questions by Ivana Katz
view all questions by Ivana Katz
Articles by Ivana Katz on Other Hubs
My Google Plus Profile
ID: 3790
Trending Questions
Health (523)
Life (383)
Parenting (216)
Beauty (142)
Food (698)
Travel (244)
Money (149)
Fitness (60)
Career (59)
Lifestyle (334)
Family (309)
Fun (277)
Children (252)
Home (187)
Shopping (184)
Personal (177)
Cooking (175)
Fashion (139)
Christmas (129)
Animals (118)
Wellbeing (113)
Kids (112)
Social (107)
Work (104)
Sleep (90)
Holiday (90)
Clothes (89)
Ethics (86)
Love (84)
Fruit (82)
Music (77)
Hobbies (76)
Body (69)
Healthy (64)
Silly (64)
Friends (64)
Advice (63)
Reading (63)
Hair (56)
Car (55)
Books (55)
School (54)
Nature (53)
Movies (53)
Women (53)
Medical (52)
Copyright 2012-2021 OatLabs ABN 18113479226. mobile version