Actually I haven't found too many interesting mushrooms in my yard but the park at the bottom of the street has some lovely toadstools. I always mean to learn to identify mushrooms so I know what I can eat!
Don't. It's much too dangerous! Even experts who have been picking wild mushrooms from childhood can get it wrong. And the consequences can be dreadful. I know a family which was devastated by eating poisonous mushrooms they had mistaken for edible ones. It's just not worth it.
We don't get many here in England but our garden in Germany always used to have lots in - a consequence of it having been covered in forest until recently, so lots of spores lying dormant in the ground.
We taught our son not to touch the fungi and he spent a lot of time in the forest so knew about the dangers of eating unknown plants but when it was his birthday party we realised that his friends might think a fly agaric was a tasty treat, so we did our best to clear them out - this bucket full was just one of many we collected that morning! Disposing of them was tricky....