No I havne't. I still remember those 3 people who died in Melbourne or the A.C.T.on Boxing Day, 3 or 4 years ago! 2 others were saved in hospital, thank heavens.They'd picked them from under a certain tree on Christmas Day.
Whoooo! Probably over 55 years ago. I certainly would not trust myself to know a safe one from a poisonous or hallucinogenic one any more. Oh, is there anything better than a freshly picked field mushroom?! Mmmmm.
When younger we woukd go with mum as she knew the difference between mushrooms and toadstools. At times, there looked no difference between the good and bad mushrooms. It was nicer when we grew our own from the mushroom farms that used to be on sale. We'd keep the box in the shed and pick when ready.
We often picked mushrooms as children. If there had been a fire in the bushland adjoining our yard, Mum would take us out. After a while we would pick them alone and bring them home. We only collected one variety. All others were considered dangerous. I am still very careful with mushrooms and don't like to eat shop bought ones unless completely fresh.
I've been mushroom picking when I was a child, but it wasn't actually a mushroom eater until I was an adult, unless there were mushrooms on a pizza I ate ... I love mushrooms now though, although I'd be much happier eating mushrooms I'd bought from a reputable business.