Home    Subscribe    Write for Us    FAQ    Contact    HubGarden    Login

What kinds of support are available to victims of domestic violence?

by Vee (follow)
Relationships (205)      Feminism (56)      Safety (52)      Domestic violence (6)     
What kinds of support are available to victims of domestic violence?

Image By xandert

In Australia, one in three women will be affected by domestic violence in her lifetime (The Australianís Womenís Weekly, March 2014). My grandmother was. For thirty-eight years, she was victimised at the hands of my grandfather. Why did she stay with him? Because, as a non-English speaking immigrant, she didnít know where to go or what to do.

What kinds of support are available to victims of domestic abuse?

#Domestic Violence
I like this Question - 4
Ask and answer questions for a share of ad revenue - click here
[ Submit an Answer ]
Top Answers
Centrelink have the following info below.

Payments & services
Case Coordination
Crisis Payment
Health Care Card
Explore payments based on your situation.

We have payments and services to help you if you are experiencing family or domestic violence.

About family and domestic violence
How we can help you
Other government and community support services
About family and domestic violence
The department takes family and domestic violence seriously.

Family and domestic violence occurs when someone uses behaviour that is violent, threatening, intimidating or controlling, or intended to cause the family or household member to be fearful. Such behaviours may include:

sexual or psychological abuse
controlling money
neglect in a relationship of dependence
harm to an animal or property
restricting spiritual or cultural participation
Victims of violence may live in fear for themselves and their family even when they have left an abusive relationship. People from all walks of life can be affected by family and domestic violence and it includes all types of relationships such as current and past intimate relationships, co-habiting, carers and guardians, other family members including step families, those who fall within Indigenous or culturally recognised family groups, and is irrespective of gender and sexuality.

How we can help you
Family and domestic violence is unacceptable in any form. Our first priority in responding to customers who are experiencing family or domestic violence will be their safety and wellbeing.

We can help you if you are in, have left, or are preparing to leave a situation where you are affected by family and domestic violence.

We will consider if you are eligible for a range of payments and services such as parenting payment, income support payments, crisis payments and exemptions from seeking employment or collecting child support based on your personal situation.

There may be specific payments and services that can help you:

If someone has been removed from your home, or you have had to move houses due to violence
If you are in financial hardship due to circumstances relating to violence
If you are under 21 and unable to live at home due to violence
If you are unable to search for work due to illness, injury (permanent or temporary) or other related issues of experiencing violence
If you have recently moved to Australia and are unable to be supported by others due to violence
If applying for or collecting child support would put you or your familyís safety at risk
When another adult or child needs to be removed or added from/to a Medicare card
Our social workers offer private and confidential interviews for counselling and support. They can help you work out your options including assessing your payments and exemptions to some requirements. They can also help you access other support services in the community.

The departmentís commitment to supporting people affected by family and domestic violence is detailed in our Family and Domestic Violence Strategy.

Other government and community support services
1800 RESPECT is the national family violence and sexual assault counselling service. It is a free, confidential service available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Call 1800 737 732 to speak to a professional counsellor.

Family Relationship Advice
The Family Relationship Advice Line provides information and advice on family relationship issues and parenting arrangements after separation. It can also refer callers to local services that can provide assistance. Call 1800 050 321 between 8 am and 8 pm, Monday to Friday, or 10 am to 4 pm on Saturday (local time), except national public holidays.

Kids Helpline
Kids Helpline is a free, private and confidential, telephone and online counselling service specifically for young people aged between 5 and 25. Call 1800 55 1800 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Lifeline provides crisis support services. Call 131 114 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Mensline Australia
Mensline Australia provides telephone and online support, information and a referral service. They provide counselling support for men to help deal with relationship problems in a practical and effective way. They also provide specialist support to those who use or experience family and domestic violence. Call 1300 789 978.

White Ribbon
White Ribbon provide a list of national and state based support organisations which may be of assistance where domestic and family violence is a concern.
P.S. .....People don't know how good they are!
I was in a bad way years ago, and they gave me tremendous help.
by jonaja
jonaj, thanks so much for your very detailed response. This is sure to help. :)
by Vee
There is a women's refuge centre over the road from my home, run by the Salvation Army. They do a fantastic job offering 24 hour support. It's wonderful to see such organisations setting up residences in residential suburbs.
I like what I see in the USA when a domestic has caused the Police to attend one of the parties is usually arrested and jailed thereby stopping the violence or chance of violence occurring.
Here it seems the Police come and not break the cycle of argument/domestic dispute or violence.
Then of course we have inconsistent Judges or magistrates who are not up to it as far as dealing with people who pose a risk e.g. giving bail when serious offences have happened or could happen if the person is bailed?
More Questions by Vee
view all questions by Vee
Articles by Vee on Other Hubs
The Special Broadcasting Service (SBS) and the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) are Aus...
5 answers
5 answers
ID: 13896
Trending Questions
Health (517)
Life (382)
Parenting (216)
Beauty (142)
Food (688)
Travel (244)
Money (148)
Fitness (60)
Career (58)
Lifestyle (334)
Family (309)
Fun (277)
Children (252)
Home (187)
Shopping (183)
Personal (177)
Cooking (172)
Fashion (139)
Christmas (129)
Animals (117)
Wellbeing (113)
Kids (112)
Social (107)
Work (103)
Holiday (90)
Clothes (89)
Sleep (88)
Ethics (86)
Love (84)
Fruit (79)
Music (77)
Hobbies (76)
Body (69)
Silly (64)
Friends (64)
Healthy (63)
Advice (63)
Reading (63)
Hair (56)
Books (55)
Car (54)
School (54)
Nature (53)
Movies (53)
Women (53)
Medical (52)
Copyright 2012-2018 OatLabs ABN 18113479226. mobile version