My best friend who knows my favourite chocolate is m&m's once mailed me a beautiful handmade card with m&m's as decorations. It arrived in mail and it was the time when there was an anthrax scare (post 9-11) in US. We literally called the Police before opening the envelope. Turned out to be m&m's! We were embarrassed! :)
It turned out to be a special kind of glass, so as I opened it...found it all broken.
I moved it to one side, and not knowing I had long splinters on the floor.
Later that day, one went into my foot, and blood poured all over the carpet.
I mean poured out.
I had to rush to the doctor with son in tow, she got it out.... have xrays to see if any more were in.
Not a good idea to ever send glass in the mail.No matter 'how well' it is wrapped.
Not unusual, but a bad drama anyway.
On my 18th birthday, I received what appeared to be a large cardboard box of dimensions 1m x 1.5m x 1.5 m early in the day. But I observed that the mailman handled it easily. It was from a friend, so didn't suspect anything foul.
Took it in to the living room and opened it. Out flew 18 balloons, which had been stuffed in. They were literally flying about in the room and some exploded. Cutting to the point, this idea was novel to me and it was funny and thoughtful, but quite difficult for my parents to handle the rude awakening from the exploding balloons!
We once had a reunion of my husband's uni friends at a stage we all had young children. When they had left, I found a child's toilet seat insert at the foot of my back stairs. Assuming it belonged to our friends from Alice Springs, I wrapped it without bothering to disguise its shape, and took it up to the local post office. Next morning my neighbour asked me if I had found the toilet seat she had left on the steps for my son.