Some people are very careful to throw away food the minute it goes past its use by or best before date, whereas others are happy to keep munching until they can see the mould. Do you eat food after its use by date?
On the whole, I am supremely unbothered by use by or best before dates, I judge whether to eat something or not by if it smells funny, looks mouldy or is visibly fizzing in its container.... my husband on the other hand is a stickler for these dates and throws out some perfectly edible food. My mother is like me, only more extreme, and will eat some things even after they are mouldy, just cuts off the mould first. So far no-one in our family has had food poisoning....
There is a difference between best before dates and use by dates, but I generally don't pay attention to either. Even if there i mould on food, I'll just cut the bad bit off and have the rest. As long as it smells and tastes fine, then I'll have it.
Cutting the mold off is not really good for your health.If we were in a war time, yes of course. Mold is not something to disregard.It's just I think one of life's little warnings.Anyway your worth more than eating food with mold Miss B :)
It depends what it is. I wouldn't eat something like yoghurt past the date on it but slightly out of date chocolate is probably fine.There's a difference between "best before" and "use by". The former just means that it's freshest/tastiest before that date, not that it will be off if you eat it after that.
I'm not too fussed by the dates as I only use them as a guide. I've had meat that is well within the best before date that I have taken back as it has clearly gone off - so for me, I think common sense, is the best guide. If it looks or smells bad then it probably is.